Sunday, August 30, 2009

Preparing During High School

I don’t know about you but one of the most unexpected things that happened to me once I reached high school was the continual amount of people asking me what I wanted to do after high school. This came as a shock to me because I had hardly thought about what I was doing during high school & others already wanted to know what my decision was on my post - high school years!

I often tell people that I’m still deciding what my goals & dreams for my life are. Right now I’m considering each available path & continue to remain open to each one.

However, despite my lack of plans at this time, there are still ways I can be preparing myself for this upcoming stage of life. I’d like to share with you some practical things I’m doing, books I’m reading & tools I’m discovering. Here is a list of some tips & tricks.... :)

  • I’m developing experiences that utilize my giftings. People who know me know that I’m gifted in administration, shepherding, encouragement, teaching & creativity. So, I try to find ways to use what God has given me. I lead Bright Lights, run a newsletter for teen girls, write notes of encouragement to my friends, etc.
  • I’m also working on developing my interests. Pursuing & studying my interests now will enable me to proficiently use them to serve God & his Kingdom during my single years when I have time to invest in projects & ministries that will use these talents.
  • I’m trying to develop a record of leadership & community service. There are opportunities all over the place to gain some experience & serve others. I’ve volunteered at the library assisting with children’s story-times, helped out with my church’s children’s ministry, spent some time helping with odd jobs at the city’s food bank, helped clean up trash off parks & highways & several other things.
  • I’m studying for college board tests that may lead to college scholarships like the PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc. If I do decide to attend a college it will be helpful to to have scholarship options & have the test-taking skills mastered. (Helpful books I have found for this include College Prep Genius & any books published by the College Board).
  • I’m reading books such as So Much More (by Anna Sophia & Elizabeth Botkin) to help me get a vision for what life would look like staying at home through my single years.
  • During my week I keep a balanced emphasis on academic studies & practical homemaking skills. I want to make sure my days are not so academically focused that I have no time for learning sewing, cooking, cleaning, baking, household management & other essentials skills I will need to serve my father & eventually my future husband. I like to work on skills by completing the requirements found in the Keeper’s at Home handbook.
  • I put a large emphasis on the study of Christian worldview & apologetics. It will be important for me to be able to defend my faith whether I end up at college or remaining at home. Resources from Answers in Genesis & Biblical Discipleship Ministries top my favorites list. I’ve also attended Worldview Academy once & will be returning for their alumni track this fall.

These are just a couple things I’m doing right now while I’m still in high school. I’m sure I’ll think of more to share but this is a good list for now. I can’t wait to see what direction God will take me in the years to come.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not so sure about learning Japanese or SATs, but most of the rest of that list I can relate to. lol!
    I was really feeling down and having some troubled thoughts in this area of my life, especially because I plan to stay home...
    I am going to graduate from Homeschool High School this next June. It was a great blessing to me when I found this blog on the Rebelution forums!

    I would be happy to contribute anything you need for your blog, including being an author.

    Blessings in Messiah!
    KallyLyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note! Did actually have something on here about Japanese? Hm.. didn't catch that. I know Carissa talks about that stuff though. :) Don't be discouraged about staying at home... there are other "crazy" people like you out there. :) I'm starting to lean more toward the staying at home option now too. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me!

    ReplyDelete